National Hunger & Homelessness Week began on Saturday, November 12th and will continue until Sunday, November 20th. Hunger & Homelessness is a worldwide epidemic that affects all people. In Southwest Ohio, hunger and homelessness directly impact our lives every day.
Worldwide Hunger & Homelessness Statistics
Here is how hunger and homelessness effects people Globally:
- There are 795 million hungry people in the world. To put it into perspective, that’s 1 in 9 people.
- Every year, approximately 3.1 million children under the age of 5, die from malnutrition.
- 1 billion people (just under 15% of the world’s population), live on the equivalent of $1.25 a day.
The United States Hunger & Homelessness Statistics
Here is how hunger and homelessness effects people in The United States:
- 46.7 million people (14.8%) live in poverty.
- 15.5 million children (21.2%) under the age of 18 live in poverty.
- 48.1 million Americans live in food insecure households.
- 1 in 5 American children live in poverty.
Ohio Hunger & Homelessness Statistics
Here is how hunger and homelessness effects people in Ohio:
- Overall, Ohio’s poverty levels reach 15.9%.
- 18.4% of Hamilton County’s population live in poverty.
- 10.5% of Clermont County’s population live in poverty.
- 14.3% of Clark County’s population live in poverty.
How Can You Get Involved
There are various ways to get involved to help with the hunger and homelessness epidemic. You can volunteer at homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food pantries, etc. You can also have your work, local church, local school and other groups help these organizations.
During November, American Heritage Insurance Group is helping one of our partner companies PuroClean collect canned goods and dry goods. If you would like to donate, please stop by any of our three office locations.
Also, if you are looking for other ways on how you can get involved, visit these websites:
American Heritage Insurance Group is an independent property and casualty insurance agency offering personal lines insurance, commercial lines insurance for small and medium sized businesses, farm insurance, and several specialty lines. We have offices located in Cincinnati, Milford, and Springfield, Ohio.