Properly protecting your home can spare you from severe damage caused by winter weather. Many homeowners don’t realize the potential cost of damage that could occur during the winter months.
I’ve done my research to find 10 valuable ways to protect your home during winter. While I can’t guarantee these will prevent any damage, they’re good precautionary measures to take.
10 Valuable Ways to Protect Your Home During Winter
- Winterize Your Home
- Install Weather Stripping, Insurance & Storm Windows
- Insulate Water Lines on Exterior Walls
- Clean Out Gutters & Repair Roof Leaks
- Check Your Heater
- Clean or Replace the Furnace Filter on Forced Hot Air Systems
- Consider Adding Extra Insulation to Your Attic
- Check for Water Leaks and Fix Immediately
- Learn How to Shut Off Your Water and Where Pipes are Located
- Trim Trees and Remove Dead Branches
- Check Your Fireplace for Drafts
- Clean Your Chimney and Flue System
- Switch Fans to the Reverse/Clockwise Position – This Blows Warm Air Down to the Floor for Enhanced Energy Efficiency
- Check Smoke Detectors & CO2 Detectors
- Have Snow Clearing Equipment & Supplies on Hand
- Consider Investing in a Generator if Power Outages are Common in Your Area
American Heritage Insurance Group is an independent property and casualty insurance agency offering personal lines insurance, commercial lines insurance for small and medium sized businesses, farm insurance, and several specialty lines. We have offices located in Cincinnati, Milford, and Springfield, Ohio.