Hosting a New Year’s Eve Party can quickly add up in unnecessary expenses. New Year’s Eve celebrations are a great way to kick off the new year with family and friends. It’s a time for celebration for all of the great things that happened in 2015 and the new ones in 2016. Along with the cost of hosting the actual party, there are also insurance risks that you need to be aware about.
Keep reading for helpful information and tips on the following items:
- Frugal Party Tips
- Easy Tips for a New Year’s Eve Party
- Social Host Liability Law – Are you responsible?
Just in case you want to splurge and have the greatest New Year’s Eve Party, we’re also providing a free printable on all the necessities.
Frugal Party Tips
- Limit the Guest List
- A huge guest list increase the cost for food, party items, etc.
- Consider just inviting a few friends who you want to spend time with most. It’s also much easier to entertain.
- Repurpose Christmas Decorations
- Simplify the Christmas Decor you already own instead of purchase new items.
- Aim for a simple color palette (white, silver, gold).
- Focus more on the seasonal aspect versus Christmas.
- Shop for Snacks in the Seasonal Section
- After Christmas everything is on sale in the seasonal section. Pick up any food items from this area.
- Typical discounts are 40-90% off original price.
- Cut Back on the Booze Selections
- You don’t need to purchase enough to intoxicate all the attendees. If it’s provided by you, purchase a few select items most of the guests will enjoy or even just a champagne bottle for midnight. If the guests are expecting more to drink, suggest that everyone brings their own drinks.
- Skip the Full Mean and Serve Apps Instead
- It’s much easier to serve appetizers to a larger than normal crowd. There might even be some coupons or discounts on them for New Year’s Eve celebrations.
- If people are looking for a meal, offer pizza. It can be fairly cheap and serves a lot.
- For even more savings, ask everyone to bring a side or an appetizer to share.
- Hack Your Way to Delicious Desserts
- Avoid the pre-made, store bought desserts and make items from scratch.
- Tip: Jell-o Gelatin and Pudding mix is fairly cheap and is a base for many easy desserts.
- Turn on the TV and Break Out the Board Games
- There will be a ton of entertainment on most major channels in celebration for New Year’s Eve. Let your guests enjoy the festivities.
- Board games are a great way to spend quality time with friends. It’s easy to pause if someone wants to watch a performance and for when you ring in the new year.
- Ask Your Guests to Bring a Bottle of Bubbly
- Ask for guests to bring a bottle of champagne to share. It will bring variety and there will be plenty for everyone to get a glass.
An Easy New Year’s Eve Party
- Turn New Year’s Resolutions into a Game
- All the guests get a card with a different resolution. They fill out the blank on the card with their resolution. Put them in a container, read them aloud, and everyone has to guess who’s resolution it is.
- Required Items
- Provide Snacks, Drinks, Dessert, and Favors
- Prepping Food
- Go with appetizers that taste delicious. There are a ton of recipes on Pinterest and by just doing a Google search.
- Find a great New Year’s playlist. Include all the hits from the last year and the classics like “Auld Lang Syne”
Social Host Liability Law – Are you responsible?
Many people don’t realize that they could be responsible for actions that occur after their party ends. These laws refer to the criminal and civil responsibility of a person who provides liquor to a guest who injures themselves or others. It does vary state to state so do some research online or inquire with the local police department.
Follow these tips to not only protect yourself, but to protect your guests:
- Supply plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages. The food will help slow the absorption of alcohol.
- Hire or designate a bartender. This is an easy way to regulate how much someone is drinking.
- Provide an alternate form of transportation. Designated Drivers are a great asset to any group of guests but just in case, have cab information on hand and call them when needed.
- Stay sober so you know your guests have left safely and do everything you can to prevent someone from drunk driving.
- Prepare for an accident. Just in case something happens know the social liability law for your state and take preventative measures.
Download Your Free: New Years Eve Party Checklist
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.