In the past few years, pollution has become a hot topic in the news. Also, it’s becoming more relevant in our everyday lives. If you look around you will see ads stressing the effects of pollution, blogs, protests, educational resources and more, that stress educating people about pollution prevention and how it is affecting not only the world but them as well.
Check Out Pollution Prevention Stats Below!
- Pollution is one of the biggest killers, affecting more than 100 million worldwide.
- Every year, 14 billion pounds of garbage is dumped in the ocean.
- Composting and recycling have prevented 85 million tons of waste to be dumped in 2010.
- Noise pollution is the most neglected type of pollution.
- Americans buy more than 29 million bottles of water every year. Only 13% of these bottles are recycled every year.
- Pollution in China can change the weather in the United States.
How to Practice Pollution Prevention
Check out these tips for reducing pollution from the Ventura County Air Pollution Control District and Environmental Protection Agency.
- Walk, ride a bike or take public transportation when possible.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Use a surge protector for multiple appliances and turn it off when they are not in use.
- Compost and recycle.
- Plant a tree to help filter the air and reduce pollutants.
- Start a recycling program at work.
- Run only full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher.
- Print double sided.
- Use reusable shopping bags.
- Use native plants in your gardens.
American Heritage Insurance Group is an independent property and casualty insurance agency offering personal lines insurance, commercial lines insurance for small and medium sized businesses, farm insurance, and several specialty lines. We have offices located in Cincinnati, Milford, and Springfield, Ohio.