You head out to warm up your car and you discover it covered in ice. Your immediate thoughts might be to pour hot water on your vehicle and t0 start pounding away with an ice scraper. Below you will find some tips and tricks to help you remove ice from your car. Enjoy!
How to Remove Ice from Your Car & Other Tips
- Park Your Vehicle Facing East: By parking your car facing East, you could potentially de-thaw your vehicle with the morning sun. As a result, the ice may scrape off of your vehicle easier.
- Cheap DIY De-Icer: For a cheap and easy de-icer, mix 3 parts vinegar with one part water and spray it onto your windshield.
- Use an Onion: Try rubbing half of a raw onion on your windows to prevent frost from forming on the glass.
- Frozen Wipers: Preventative measures include covering your wipers in socks and lifting your wipers up and off your windshield. If they are just frozen, soak a cloth in full-strength rubbing alcohol and wipe down the blades.
- Foggy Windows: One method of preventing foggy windows is filling a sock with cat litter. Before turning the car off at night, open the windows to let cold air in. Also, if you’re driving and the windows keep fogging up, use your AC. Finally, keep a chalkboard eraser in your car to cleanly wipe away moisture and increase visibility.
- Frosted Side Mirrors: If you don’t have heated side mirrors, wrap a plastic bag and secure them with a rubber band. This prevents ice from forming on the mirrors.
In conclusion, preventing ice from ruining your day is possible. Follow our list of quick ways to get going after an ice attack. Do you have any other winter de-icing tips? Let us know in the comments below.
Sources: One Good Thing by Jillee, Popular Mechanics
American Heritage Insurance Group is an independent property and casualty insurance agency offering personal lines insurance, commercial lines insurance for small and medium sized businesses, farm insurance, and several specialty lines. We have offices located in Cincinnati, Milford, and Springfield, Ohio.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.