Termites are a growing problem and can cause a lot of damage very fast. Termites are hard to treat and often times, people don’t realize that’s what type of pest they are dealing with until it’s too late.
7 Signs You Might Have Termites
- Swarms of winged termites clustered around windows or door frames. This is very obvious and often will not occur until the infestation is extremely bad.
- Small piles of fecal pellets. This commonly looks like sawdust.
- Piles of shed wings.
- Tiny holes in the wood.
- Termite tunnels can create “blisters” on the woods surface.
- Mud-like tubes between pieces of wood.
- Damaged wood or imperfections on sheetrock.
Preventing termites might seem impossible but you can actively complete tasks that will help with prevention.
- Maintain the exterior of your house.
- Do Not: store wood, especially wet or rotted wood near your house.
- Trim bushes and shrubs away from your house and foundation.
- Check and fix leaky hoses.
- Check and fix your landscaping for poor drainage.
- Seal cracks and crevices with silicone.
- Surround your house with an 18 inch boarder of stones and gravel to keep landscaping away from your house.
Other steps include talking to your neighbors to see if they have had any issues and having inspections every 1-2 years. These pests have been known to effect entire communities if they are constantly left untreated or were built with bad materials. Awareness is also key. Just by educating yourself and being aware of the signs and how to prevent termites, you can improve your chances of not having a bad infestation.
Good Luck and Happy Termite Awareness Week!
Sources: Catseye Pest