Flu season is officially here. Many people have already received their flu shots and while they are not 100% guaranteed, they do help keep the most common strains at bay. If you’re interested in receiving a flu shot talk to your doctor or local pharmacist. Since flu shots are not a guarantee to keep the flu away, we want to offer our readers even more tips to help keep it away. Also, if you decide to not get a flu shot, these tips can help you prevent yourself from being vulnerable to the virus. Remember that it’s best to be over aware of germs and what/who you come into contact with during flu season.
Tips for Avoiding the Flu
- Wash Your Hands
- To completely get rid of viruses from your skin, wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or more. Try singing the “Happy Birthday” song twice. Focus around your nails and between your fingers.
- Hand Sanitizer? Make sure it is alcohol based.
- Avoid Getting Close to Those Who are Sick
- Keep Your Surroundings Clean.
- Think of it as Germ Awareness
- Keep anti-bacterial wipes with you where ever you go and wipe things down everyday.
- Have a Healthy Lifestyle
- Adequate sleep, stress management, exercise, good nutrition, not smoking or drinking, and allergy control can help you avoid the flu.
- Stay Home When You Are Sick
- Cover Your Mouth and Nose
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose, Mouth or Face
- Drink Plenty of Fluids
Know the Symptoms
- Sore Throat
- Runny or Stuffy Nose
- Body Aches
- Chills & Fatigue
- Vomiting & Diarrhea
- Respiratory Symptoms – Can be seen without a fever.
Try and practice these tips for flu prevention and if you are concerned, please see a doctor immediately. Have a great winter!
Sources: WebMD, NewsMax Health, ABC 11
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.