In 2013, Labor Day Weekend was the second highest holiday weekend in regards to the number of fatal car accidents. The National Safety Council did a 6-year study to determine the holiday weekends with the highest fatality accidents. [Tweet “NSC found on average, Labor Day Weekend had the highest 6-year average of 389 traffic deaths.”] In 2013, there were 371 traffic deaths during labor day weekend (Independence Day had 461 deaths).
Labor Day Travel Safety Tips
With many people hitting the roads in the Ohio area and the influx of major travel on I-75 and I-71, I decided to provide our readers with several safety tips so they don’t become a victim of an accident.
Before You Leave
Before heading out the door, make sure you have the following things planned and prepped:
- Plan your travel early to avoid traffic.
- Set-up your GPS.
- Check your engine, radiator, fluids, tires, and brakes.
- Check or purchase an emergency supply kit.
- Check or purchase a first-aid kit.
On the Road
It is important to practice safety while on the road. Follow these steps to be fully prepared:
- First and most importantly, buckle up. [Tweet “NSC has estimated that 148 people could have survived accidents if they wore their seatbelt.”]
- Get rid of distractions. Put your phone on silent, ask riders to remain quiet, and keep the radio turned down.
- Drive defensively. This will help you prepare for sudden stops, inclement weather, and other drivers.
- Don’t drink and drive. Find a designated driver or call a cab.
- Drive alert. If you feel drowsy, exhausted, dehydrated, hungry or just not yourself, pull over and take a break before continuing your journey.
Popular Events in Ohio
If you aren’t sure of the various events in Ohio for Labor Day, I gathered a few for you to check out. These aren’t the only things going on either! Check your local neighborhood websites and call up your friends! Many people have fireworks, grill outs, and other community events on Labor Day Weekend. Here are some popular events:
- Western & Southern / WEBN Fireworks “40th Year” – Sunday, September 4th – Website
- Ohio Renaissance Festival Kickoff – Begins Saturday, September 3rd – Website
- Liberty Home Association Oktoberfest – Begins Friday, September 2nd – Website
- Stricker’s Grove Labor Day Picnic – Monday, September 5th – Website
American Heritage Insurance Group is an independent property and casualty insurance agency offering personal lines insurance, commercial lines insurance for small and medium sized businesses, farm insurance, and several specialty lines. We have offices located in Cincinnati, Milford, and Springfield, Ohio.